How Nursing Home Abuse Law Firms Help
Finding out that a loved one has been injured while in a nursing home — a place that was trusted to provide care — can be frustrating and make you feel helpless. If you suspect that abuse or neglect is happening, you might not know how to get help.
A nursing home abuse law firm can step in on your behalf and get justice for a beloved senior’s mistreatment.
- Taking legal action against all negligent parties
- Fighting for the highest financial payout
- Forcing the care facility to take accountability
- Reporting the facility to the proper authorities
Compensation that a law firm secures can be used to get your elderly relative to a safe facility and pay for expenses related to the abuse.
By helping victims take legal action, a nursing home abuse law firm can be instrumental in ending abusive practices at assisted living facilities. This can prevent other vulnerable residents from enduring abuse or neglect.
Another important thing to remember is that a nursing home law firm can handle all aspects of an abuse or neglect case, giving the family time to get their loved one to a safe home and start the healing process.
The nursing home abuse law firms in the LawFirm.com network are fierce advocates of our nation’s most vulnerable citizens. They’ve gone head-to-head with national corporations that run nursing homes and secured more than $256 million for families affected by abuse and negligence.
Get a free case review right now to see if they can help your family.
Cases a Nursing Home Negligence Law Firm Handles
An experienced nursing home negligence law firm will have expertise in all areas of elder law and be able to handle even the most complex cases of abuse or neglect.
These firms are staffed by personal injury lawyers who have dedicated their careers to helping families affected by nursing home abuse and negligence.
Types of cases that a nursing home abuse law firm handles include:
- Nursing home abuse: This involves intentional harm to a nursing home resident by a staff member or other resident and includes physical harm, emotional abuse, or sexual assault.
- Nursing home neglect: Neglect is unintentional harm, but it can have devastating consequences. Neglected patients may suffer serious injuries like bedsores (pressure sores or ulcers), dehydration, infections, and malnutrition.
- Medical malpractice: Elderly residents may depend on health care providers to administer medications, provide medical care, and more. When a medical professional deviates from the standard of care and makes medication errors or other mistakes that cause an injury, it could be considered medical malpractice.
- Wrongful death: Tragically, nursing home abuse or neglect can lead to the death of a loved one. Preventable falls, infections, and other injuries can be fatal.
Regardless of the type of mistreatment involved in a case, an experienced nursing home law firm will have the resources to take on a negligent nursing home facility and secure the best results possible for a family.
When Should I Contact a Nursing Home Neglect Law Firm?
It’s important to contact a nursing home neglect law firm as soon as you see warning signs of abuse or suspect that your loved one has been harmed.
Some common warning signs of elder abuse include bedsores, broken bones, cuts and bruises, and extreme weight loss.
By acting quickly, you can prevent your elderly relative from enduring more pain and suffering.
You can also ensure that your nursing home negligence law firm has an opportunity to collect evidence to prove your case. It’s possible that a negligent facility could get rid of evidence linking nursing home staff to an incident of abuse or neglect.
Tip: If you suspect that your loved one isn’t receiving proper care, get a notebook and record your observations, including any signs of neglect. Use your cell phone to take pictures of any personal injuries.
Nursing home abuse lawsuits have statutes of limitations that limit how long you have to take legal action. The deadline in most states is 2-3 years from the date of a resident’s injury or wrongful death.
Once this deadline passes, you will be unable to get justice for your loved one.
What to Expect When Working With an Elder Neglect Law Firm
Many families affected by nursing home abuse or neglect may be reluctant to take legal action. They may worry that the legal process is too complex or time-consuming or that they will have to spend time in court.
Nursing home abuse law firms know the stress that these families are under and do everything in their power to make the process easy and stress-free.
This includes handling all aspects of a case and fighting for a settlement, which gives families quicker access to financial compensation without ever having to step inside a courtroom.
Learn more about the steps involved in working with a nursing home law firm below.
- Get a free case review: Contact LawFirm.com for a free case review. Our case managers will ask you questions about what happened and connect you with a top nursing home law firm if you qualify.
- Collect evidence: The law firm will assemble a legal team led by a nursing home abuse attorney to gather evidence to prove nursing home abuse or neglect. This may include medical records, the long-term care facility’s policies and procedures, photos, and more.
- File your lawsuit: Your attorney will file your nursing home abuse lawsuit against all potentially liable parties, such as the facility itself. They will also make sure that your nursing home abuse case is filed according to state law and before any legal deadlines.
- Negotiate a settlement: Most nursing home lawsuits end in out-of-court settlements. Your nursing home abuse lawyer will fight for a settlement that provides fair compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and more.
- Represent you in court: Your legal team will fight for your family in court if a settlement can’t be reached.
Your nursing home abuse law firm will walk you through every step of the process and keep you updated as your case moves forward.
They will answer any questions that you and your family members may have and provide emotional support as your entire family heals from the abuse or neglect.
Get Help From a Top Nursing Home Law Firm
Finding the right nursing home abuse law firm to trust with your case can be overwhelming.
LawFirm.com makes the process easier by connecting you with some of the best nursing home law firms in the country if you have a case.
Our legal partners:
- Are experts in elder law
- Can take cases in all 50 states
- Have recovered over $256 million for nursing home abuse victims
- Never charge any upfront or hourly fees
Get a free consultation to see if we can help you and your family get the justice you deserve.
Assisted Living Abuse Law Firm FAQs
What is the most common abuse in nursing homes?
The most common type of abuse in a nursing home is mental abuse, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
WHO reports that these types of abuse are also prevalent:
- Physical abuse
- Financial exploitation
- Sexual abuse
Who do you report nursing home abuse to?
You can report nursing home abuse to Adult Protective Services in your area. A nursing home law firm can also help you report abuse or neglect of an elderly person to the proper authorities.
However, if you believe that an assisted living facility resident is in immediate danger, call 911. Law enforcement can make sure that your loved one is safe and gets the medical treatment they need. They can also investigate abusive practices at the facility.
How much does a nursing home abuse law firm cost?
The nursing home law firms that LawFirm.com works with take cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that they never charge any upfront fees.
Instead, they get paid a percentage of any compensation they secure for families affected by abuse. If they don’t recover any money, the family pays nothing.
This type of fee arrangement allows families to get high-quality legal help regardless of their financial situation.
How do I find the best nursing home abuse law firm near me?
LawFirm.com works with some of the best nursing home abuse law firms in the country. These firms have recovered over $256 million for families affected by nursing home abuse and neglect, and they can take cases in all 50 states.
Get a free case review right now to see if they can help find a firm near you.