What Does a Florida Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A Florida car accident lawyer is a type of personal injury attorney who fights on behalf of people who have been injured in auto accidents because of another driver’s negligence.
These lawyers can file legal claims and pursue the maximum compensation available for accident victims to help pay for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Florida car accident lawyers handle all aspects of an automobile accident claim, allowing accident victims to rest and heal.
Some specific tasks Florida car accident lawyers can perform include:
- Determining your eligibility through a free case review
- Communicating with the at-fault driver’s insurance company
- Interviewing witnesses to the car crash
- Investigating the accident and other details related to your case
- Negotiating a settlement with the insurance company
- Representing your case in court if it doesn’t settle
They can handle cases throughout the state of Florida, including in:
- Fort Lauderdale
- St. Petersburg
- West Palm Beach
- And more
Need a Florida car accident lawyer to handle your car accident claim? See if you’re eligible to work with one of the Florida car accident attorneys in the LawFirm.com network — get a free case evaluation now.
Types of Cases Florida Car Accident Attorneys Handle
Florida car crash attorneys can handle claims related to different types of car accidents.
These cases often involve:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving/driving under the influence
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Multiple vehicles
- Reckless driving
- Traffic law violations
- Trucking accidents
- Uninsured motorists
- Unsafe roadways
Types of Injuries Florida Car Accident Lawyers Handle
Additionally, Florida auto accident lawyers have experience handling claims involving serious injuries that often result in permanent impairment.
Common injuries in Florida car accidents include:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Why Hire a Florida Car Accident Lawyer?
After a car accident, people may wonder if they should get a personal injury lawyer or not. While most people can handle a minor fender bender on their own, it may be beneficial to have an experienced Florida car accident lawyer by your side following a more serious crash.
5 reasons to work with a Florida car accident attorney include:
- Access to key resources: Florida accident attorneys have resources to help build a strong case, including relationships with experts, accident reconstructionists, and more.
- Experience: Florida car accident lawyers have experience handling auto accident claims, which means they know how to recognize the full extent of an accident victim’s losses. This can include pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
- Knowledge of Florida law: A Florida car accident attorney’s understanding of state law helps them win cases and maximize recoveries for clients.
- Legal advice: A Florida accident attorney can provide legal advice immediately after an accident and throughout the claims process. Clients can take comfort in knowing that they are being advised by an experienced professional.
- Maximize compensation: Generally speaking, accident victims who work with a lawyer tend to get larger car accident settlements than people who try to handle a case on their own. Lawyers are skilled negotiators and can go head-to-head with insurance company employees looking to minimize their losses.
Perhaps most importantly, a Florida car accident lawyer can do all of the heavy lifting related to a claim. Handling a car crash claim can be time-consuming and frustrating, especially when you are recovering from an injury. A Florida car crash lawyer can handle the entirety of a claim on an accident victim’s behalf.
Questions to Ask a Florida Car Accident Attorney
If you are considering working with a Florida car accident lawyer, you should think about some questions to ask them during your initial consultation.
Here are some questions to ask a Florida car accident lawyer:
- Have you handled Florida car crash cases in the past?
- What results have you secured for other accident victims?
- How much does it cost to work with you?
- How will you keep me updated about my claim?
- Do you have references from other clients?
Chat with one of our car accident case managers now and see if a lawyer may be able to help you or a loved one with a claim.
Our case managers can answer your questions and connect you to an attorney.Chat Now
How to File a Florida Car Accident Injury Claim
Most Florida motor vehicle accident claims follow a similar path from start to resolution.
Working with a Florida personal injury lawyer can give you peace of mind, as they’ll handle the entire legal process from start to finish so you can focus on your health.
The basic steps are outlined below.
1. Contact a Florida Car Accident Lawyer
A Florida car accident lawyer will review the facts of your case and see if they may be able to help. Get started with a free case review now.
2. Gather Evidence
If the attorney thinks that they can be of assistance and you agree to work with them, a legal team will start collecting evidence to build your case.
This evidence may include:
- Medical records
- Photos or video recordings of the accident
- Police reports, if available
- Relevant auto insurance policies
- Witness statements
Additionally, your lawyer will assess the amount of your damages. This includes economic damages like damage to your car and medical expenses related to your injuries, as well as non-economic damages like pain and suffering or emotional distress.
3. File Your Claim
A Florida accident attorney will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf before state laws known as the statute of limitations (filing deadline) expire.
The statute of limitations for a car accident in Florida is 2 years from the date of the accident.
4. Negotiate a Settlement
Your lawyer will negotiate with the at-fault party and/or their insurance company and try to settle for an amount that properly compensates you for your injuries and damages.
Insurance companies are infamous for making low-ball settlement offers. A Florida car accident will fight for the settlement amount that you deserve.
Most car accident lawsuits end in out-of-court settlements. However, in the unlikely event that a settlement is unable to be reached, your attorney will present your case in court. A judge and/or jury will decide the winner and award compensation through a trial verdict.
Car Accident Settlement in Florida: Average Amounts
Car accident settlements vary in amount depending on the unique circumstances of each case.
Here are some car accident settlements obtained by our legal partners:
- $3 million for a driver injured when her car malfunctioned
- $310,000 for a family injured in a rear-end car accident
- $100,000 for a couple injured due to a defective guardrail
- $90,000 for a man hurt in a car crash
Factors that can affect car accident settlement values include:
- The severity of your injuries
- Cost of past and future medical care
- Whether the accident caused permanent impairment
- Your amount of fault for the accident (if any)
- Insurance coverage
An experienced and skilled Florida car accident lawyer can negotiate on your behalf and fight for the maximum compensation available in your case.
Take the first step toward getting the compensation you deserve — call (888) 726-9160 now for a free case review.
Get Help From a Car Accident Lawyer in Florida
Florida is home to many car accident lawyers, so you may be wondering how to narrow down the list.
Qualities to look for in a high-quality car accident lawyer include:
- History of successful case results
- No upfront or hourly fees
- Works with a reputable, trustworthy law firm
- Years of experience representing car accident victims
The Florida car accident lawyers that LawFirm.com works with have all of these qualities — and they’ve secured more than $9.1 billion for clients injured through no fault of their own.
We can connect you with some of the top car accident lawyers in Florida — get started now with a free case review.
Car Accident Attorney in Florida FAQs
What to do after a car accident in Florida?
Here are some actions to take after a car accident:
- Get prompt medical attention.
- Obtain contact information for any witnesses at the scene of the accident.
- Use your cell phone to take pictures to prove that the other driver was at fault.
If you suffered bodily injury in the crash, contact a Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible for help with a personal injury claim.
Can someone sue you for a car accident in Florida?
Yes, you may be able to sue a negligent driver under Florida law and seek money for your damages.
Keep in mind that Florida is a no-fault state, which means that drivers must have personal injury protection insurance (PIP) to cover medical expenses and other accident damages, regardless of who is responsible for a crash.
That said, accident victims may be able to seek compensation from an at-fault driver for severe injuries that exceed the coverage provided by the PIP insurance.
How much does an attorney charge for a car accident in Florida?
Some attorneys charge an hourly rate and require a retainer (a sum of money paid in advance of any work). These fees can add up, especially if the case is complicated or takes a long time to resolve.
Other attorneys — like the ones LawFirm.com works with — take cases on a contingency fee basis, which means they do not charge any fees in advance. Instead, they get paid by taking a small percentage of any money they recover for a client.
How long do you have to get a lawyer after a car accident in Florida?
The statute of limitations in Florida for car accident claims is 2 years. Generally speaking, that means you have 2 years from the date of the collision to take legal action.
However, it’s always in your best interest to contact an auto accident attorney as soon as possible after a car accident. A lawyer can start collecting evidence and speaking with any witnesses to support your claim.
Should I hire an attorney after a car accident in Florida?
If you were involved in a car accident, you should consider hiring an attorney.
A Florida traffic accidents lawyer can handle your claim in its entirety — from dealing with insurance companies to negotiating a settlement. They can explain your legal rights, work to hold all negligent parties accountable, and fight to maximize your settlement payout.
How do I find the best car accident lawyer in Florida?
LawFirm.com can connect you with top Florida accident attorneys who can handle cases throughout the state. These attorneys have secured more than $9.1 billion for injured clients and their families, and they never charge any upfront fees.
Get a free consultation and find out if one of our legal partners may be able to help you.