What Is a JUUL Lawsuit?
JUUL lawsuits seek financial compensation from the leading company in the e-cigarette industry.
According to the New York Post, JUUL controlled over 70% of the e-cigarette market share in May 2019 — and its sales continue to rise.
However, recent lawsuits claim JUUL marketed to teenagers, not adults as the company currently claims. Allegedly, the company’s advertisements promoted vaping as cool and youth-oriented.
In these lawsuits, JUUL’s advertising has been blamed for:
- Addiction to nicotine
- Chronic cough
- Lung damage
Through a lawsuit, families may receive compensation to help pay for medical care and related expenses. Families may also get additional funds for their pain and suffering.
Quick Facts about JUUL Lawsuits
- JUUL products always contain nicotine and contain twice as much nicotine as many other e-cigarette brands, according to Vox investigators.
- A 2018 lawsuit claimed that JUULpods contained 6.5% nicotine salts instead of the advertised 5%.
- Massachusetts and North Carolina filed lawsuits against JUUL in 2019. Attorneys representing other states are also investigating the company.
JUUL Lawsuit News
JUUL began selling its products under Pax Labs in 2015 and became its own company in 2017. Since the company is less than 5 years old, lawsuits against JUUL are still relatively new.
Here are some notable lawsuits brought against JUUL from the past few years:
- JUUL Lawsuit 2018: JUUL faced a class-action lawsuit from 13 plaintiffs who claimed that the company misrepresented the amount of nicotine in its products. As of 2019, the case is still ongoing.
- JUUL Lawsuit 2019: A man in Connecticut sued JUUL after a massive stroke. He claimed the stroke was a complication of his addiction to JUULpods. According to Forbes, this suit marked the first time JUUL was sued for a severe health condition.
As the dangers of vaping become more widely known, it is likely that JUUL will face more lawsuits in the future from those who used their products and suffered harm.
How Can a Lawsuit Against JUUL Help Me?
A JUUL lawsuit can help victims who are recovering from JUUL-related illnesses afford medical care and addiction treatment. It can also hold JUUL accountable for their actions.
Nicotine addictions from JUULpods can be very destructive. For example, three Massachusetts teenagers became aggressive, moody, and violent according to a 2019 lawsuit.
In an interview with the Washington Post, one mother noted she came to fear her son’s mood swings. The teenagers also experienced symptoms such as chronic cough, wheezing, and vomiting.
Two were still using vape products even after seeking treatment. Through their lawsuit, the families may recover some of the costs associated with the teens’ medical care.
A lawsuit against JUUL also sends a message: the company cannot put innocent teenagers in danger and get away with it.
JUUL had a responsibility to keep its products away from underaged users. However, these teenagers and others started using JUUL products before the age of 18. Their lawsuit claims JUUL did not do enough to prevent teenagers from being attracted to its products.
Filing a JUUL Lawsuit
Those looking to file a lawsuit against JUUL should work with a lawyer. Lawyers can help victims file their cases properly and work to get the most compensation available.
Without the help of a professional attorney, it can be very hard to successfully prove your case in court.
Additionally, there may be other people looking to file lawsuits similar to yours. Your lawsuit could be combined with others to build a stronger case overall.
JUUL Class-Action Lawsuit
When several people with the same issue file one lawsuit together, it is known as a class-action lawsuit.
Class-action lawsuits have been filed against JUUL because:
- The company used mass marketing strategies and advertisements
- These campaigns caused teenagers to develop nicotine addictions and related health issues
Class-action lawsuits against JUUL have been filed in California, Florida, Massachusetts, Alabama, and West Virginia.
Your lawyer can help connect you with others who have filed lawsuits similar to yours to file a class-action lawsuit.
Other Types of JUUL Lawsuits
While class-action lawsuits are currently the most common type of lawsuit for vape products, they may not be the best type of lawsuit for everyone.
Other types of lawsuits include:
- Personal Injury Lawsuit: These lawsuits are filed if someone was harmed or got sick from using a JUUL product.
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit: These lawsuits are filed by family members or loved ones if someone died from using a vape product.
Your legal team can help you figure out which type of lawsuit may be best in your situation.
Settlements vs Trials
To conclude a JUUL lawsuit, both parties must come to an agreement through a settlement. If no settlement can be reached, the case will go to trial before a judge and jury.
Here the differences between settling and going to trial:
Most lawyers will recommend a settlement, as the negative aspects of a trial tend to outweigh the benefits of more compensation.
Get Legal Assistance for a JUUL Lawsuit
If you or someone you love became addicted to JUUL products as a teenager, you may be able to file a lawsuit and receive financial compensation.
At this time, there have not been any public verdicts surrounding JUUL nicotine addiction lawsuits. It remains to be seen how much compensation a lawsuit against JUUL may award victims.
However, other vape-related injuries, such as battery explosions, have awarded victims with millions of dollars.
To learn more about your legal options, get a free case review today.